Translate

Sunday, September 1, 2013

Excursion to Tamsui

The day after my company did the day tour of Taipei they a little excursion to Tamsui, located only like 20 minutes away. It wasn't required but I figured that since I'm new to Taiwan it helps to see as much as I can. Also the Red Fort in Tamsui was on my list of things to see. 

I was surprise on how many people from my training group went. In fact almost everyone went along. We were such a large group that we basically took up half a train car. There was, though, a couple with an actual cat in their bag. One thing about Taiwan's metros and public transportation is that you are not allowed to eat or drink on the trains or even the train station. It is very clean because of this. Also the only time that I've seen them line up has been waiting in line for the train.

After getting off from the train we walked along the bay heading towards the Red Fort. I have to say the view was pretty nice and we saw some interesting things along the way. 




My group. I'm in the front kneeling in pink.








It took us like 15 minutes to walk from the train station to the Fort.It is located on top of a really big hill. As I was talking with the one girl from my group we decided to be crazy and run up the hill. I don't know why we did this we were already hot and sweaty. 
Once at the Fort were allowed to wonder and explore. It was interesting. I grew up visiting forts and other historical landmarks on vacation so this was right up my alley. On of the things that I thought was interesting was that on the walls that told you about the history of the fort were in English. Although learning about history of the was awesome the thing that we all enjoyed the air conditioning. 










After we left the fort we headed down to the food street. It is a really narrow street with tons of food stalls. I decided to get the one traditional Taiwanese treat. It is fruit such as strawberries, tomatoes and small apples coated in a red sugar glaze. The strawberries on mine were really good but I did not really like the tomatoes. I also decided to get some roasted squid which was pretty good.


After eating we headed back to the hotel for the rest of the evening. 





No comments:

Post a Comment